maanantai 15. marraskuuta 2021

We Will Rock You, Helsinki Ice Hall, 25.08.2021

 It's  been a while since I have been in a musical. I wanted to see We Will Rock You, as I'm a fan of the band Queen, and my father is also, so with him we booked tickets for this musical. I have to say I really enjoyed it. We had seats as the third row in front of the stage, which were very good seats. The musical was mostly really good. I have to say the singing was not from this world, everyone sung incredibly beautifully. The chorus sounded so perfect I thought they would be doing a playback, and everyone of the main cast had amazing voices. Galileo Figaro was played by Lauri Mikkola, and he was just so good. Even though I have to say I prefer Freddie Mercury's singing voice, he sung extremely well. I also really liked his acting, he had a lot of energy and seemed to enjoy what he was doing. I have never been a fan of Saara Aalto, as she annoys me so much but I have to say she was pretty good in this. She has a remarkable voice, and she also had a lot of energy. But I have to say Nina Tapio stole the show as Killer Queen. I have to say I was little bit underwhelmed by her costume, as I  saw the costume of Killer Queen in the German production, and loved it, but I have to say she sung amazingly and she had a great precedence. I also loved Vallu Lukka's Khashoggi, and Joel Mäkinen as Brit and Jussu Pöyhönen as Buddy were pretty good. But I have to say Jennie Storbacka stole every scene she was in. She was incredible, she sung so well and I really loved her character.

I only knew the plot of the musical quite vaguely, and I'm not sure if I liked so much. The singing and the music was great, but the plot felt kind of foolish. Basically the musical is set in 300 years to the future where live music is illegal, and people called Bohemians are fighting against that law. I don't know what to think about that plot. It felt kind of lazy, but creating a musical after songs of a rock band, that do not have a story between them, is probably hard (and Mamma Mia, another jukebox musical, does not have that good story either). 

 I really liked the futuristic costumes other character hand, when Galileo and Scaramouche had pretty normal clothes (and I really loved the fishnet in Saara Aalto's costume). Like I said I was underwhelmed of Killer Queen's outfit, but it was not bad. It had a different style what I've seen on of other productions, but it was not bad. The officers and the GaGa girls had interesting costumes, and I really liked how futuristic they were.

I did not knew all the songs in the musical even though I'm a fan of Queen, and so I did not know the lyrics in English to make a comparison with the translation to Finnish. But overall the translation worked, and the message was understood. They also had some of the songs in English, which I have never experienced in a musical in Finland, and some of the songs were partially in Finnish and partially in English. This was an interesting choice. They also performed the last three songs, Bohemian Rhapsody, We Are the Champions and We Will Rock You in English. 

The translation was made for the Finnish viewer, and many Finnish bands and songs were mentioned in this musical. This was something Ben Elton, who originally created the musical, wanted. There was a mention of Hassisen Kone, Nylon Beat, Raptori, Leevi and the Leavings and many more. This was something I really enjoyed, as the original references to the bands and songs that are famous in England are not known in Finland. Also I have to say the band was excellent. The only thing I did not like was the lack of sets. The whole musical did not have any sets, with the expectation of some stairs. They only had a screen in the background. This was confusing to me, since this was a big budget musical and the tickets were expensive, so I kind of expected some kind of set design. But overall, I really liked it and it was a joy to see theatre piece after such a long time. In September, I'm going to see the Addams Family musical.


My look in the show. I am not wearing brown contact lenses, I am wearing golden ones, but they kind of look brown in this picture.


The program from the show. The program was very good quality, but it was quite expensive, as it cost 20 euro.


The show had a screen that showed the names of the main cast. This was pretty interesting, I've never seen this in Finland.




Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti